9/23/07

And now, our feature presentation

Movies. I love them. I was a huge film buff as a kid. I still am to some degree. The problem with movies for me is the ticcing. I don't know why but my tics increase big time when I am watching a movie. The same is true for TV. It's gotten to the point that I will not go to the movie theater with anyone. I do go to the theater but always by myself. When people question this, I just say I like to go by myself, which is absolutely true, but still I am not against going with others. I am against ticcing like a mad man and having people I know catch me.
I went to see the movie, Maze by myself. It was the middle of the day on a weekday. There were maybe 5 people in the theater. The combination of watching a movie and watching a movie with tics in it forced my ticcing into overdrive. I was ticcing loudly, too. But you know what? I was thinking, here I am in a theater watching a movie about TS. How can anyone in this theater look at me and not understand? I am just like the guy you are watching on that screen. That's me! Deal with it! But no one said anything.
My girlfriend always wants to watch movies with me. She wants to sit on the couch and watch a movie with me, like normal couples do. But I told her I don't watch movies with people. Ha. that sounds insane. I tell her that it makes no sense. You can't talk during the movie. It's not interactive. Why should we both spend those 2 hours watching a movie together when we could be doing more productive things with our time together? Movies can be watched by yourself. When we are together we should be spending time talking or doing something together.
Anyway, that is what I tell her. And I do believe that to some extent. I mean, we should be valuing our time together. But sometimes I am tired and do just want to watch a movie with her. I know how badly I will tic and so I don't. And the reason I give her is the one I have already laid out for her. "I don't watch movies with people."
I wonder why I tic so much when I watch TV or movies. It's the same when I play video games. It's actually much worse when I play video games. I have read a lot of information about touretters' tics subsiding while playing video games. Not for me. They get much worse. I guess for kids it is about focusing on the task at hand.
Maybe as an adult video games seem less like a task and more like recreation. I do miss them, though. Hell, I grew up on Nintendo. There are plenty more constructive things I can be doing with my time.
It's funny. I love film. And, although I almost completely stopped watching television, I did grow up on it and did love it at one time. And I certainly loved playing Nintendo, Commodore 64 and Sega Genesis. What's funny is that it is at these times when TS gets the best of me. It's like the demon sees I am enjoying myself too much and makes sure to put a stop to it. Oh, well. I will just stick to reading, I guess.
My girlfriend is coming into town tonight. We will be spending the next two weeks together. I doubt I will be writing during that time. She doesn't know I have TS, let alone that I write about it for all to see.
Maybe, we will watch a movie when she gets here.

4 comments:

daveberm said...

Enjoy your time with your girlfriend.

Anonymous said...

As far as ticcing more during movies, my son Caleb tics like a maniac during them and during the rare occasion he plays ps2. It has gotten to the point where he has lost ALL interest in them....UUGH! At least for the time being he can read a book and not go out of control..

Anonymous said...

My son tics a lot during movies. I still take him to the theater though. I take him to see childrens movies (because he is young) and all kinds of kids are making noises, so people don't notice too much.
As for video games...that is what landed my son in the hospital. He got a game boy and was playing it for a couple of days and his whole body starting this very stiff jerk. He could hardly walk. That is when the neuro thought he was having seizures. So they admitted him into the hospital for a 2 day EEG to check. They wanted him to play the game boy while monitoring. Boy, he ticced up a storm, but he wasn't having seizures. You know there is a warning label on video games that say they can cause seizures in certain people. We tookt he game boy away and his tics did subside greatly. I think it is the repetitive things in video games. My son LOVES video games, but I just won't allow them because of what they do to him..EXCEPT one. For the longest time, I just got him a computer in his room and let him play games on disney and nickelodeon, and those didn't seem to bother him, not sure why. But, I have found the NINTENDO WII. Now this is an addicting game and he plays it and doesn't tic at ALL. I think it is because the Wii sports on there is so interactive. It actually like you are really bowling or boxing. You have to get up off the couch to play with your whole body. He loves it, and I love it too. Now, I did buy him the Avatar (he is amazed with earth and water bending) game, and that one is with an old style controller and you just sit on the couch and play. So, maybe try to Wii..I bet you love it! The sports disc that comes with it is great.
Blah, Blah, Blah about your girlfriend. I wish you would just tell her. You are letting your TS control and determine your life. She already knows something is different about you and apparently she loves it. You will feel so much better and probably tic less once the stress is over of her knowing. Watch that movie!! You can cuddle up on the couch together...women love that you know!

Take care and hurry back!

Anonymous said...

My best friend tics like that at the cinema.
How can your girlfriend NOT know you have TS? Either she isnt observant or you guys really need to have a talk, it isnt fair to not tell her something like that about yourself.