1/11/08

"Sweet pain, don't you dare leave me alone."

Tourette Syndrome hits us when we're down. It fights dirty. Every time I get injured, which is often because I am a pretty active fella, the demon attacks the injury. I once separated my shoulder. This is very painful and takes lots of rest to heal. But the demon would not let that happen. I developed a new tic that involved moving the injured shoulder. This repeated action significantly delayed the healing process, not to mention hurt every time that particular tic was acted out.
Right now, my back is messed up. It's nothing major but it will need a day or two to heal. And of course, I immediately implemented a new tic that makes sure the injury will heal as slowly as possible. Some back arching nonsense.
But pain is all part of it. Many of my tics don't feel complete or right unless there is a bit of pain involved. I need the pain. And I am no fan of pain. Not in the least. I dislike pain very much. Unfortunately the demon knows this. And so Pain I must endure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds so familiar. Thankfully right now we are not going through any "painful" tics. We are however, going through an expensive one. He is biting the collars and buttons off of his shirts. He has to wear a uniform shirt to school ($15 a shirt), and he is completely chewing the buttons off and leaving holes in the collar...in one afternoon!

Take Care!