9/9/07

Where did it come from?

I wonder where it came from? There is no proof but much evidence that TS is genetic. Why am I the only one in my family with it? My brother, clearly has OCD. My mom seems to have a slight case of OCD, as well. These conditions were never discussed, of course. I would never bring them up for fear of the conversation turning to my tourettes. My brother once brought up his OCD in front of me and some of my friends. I was so uncomfortable. I didn't say a word. I didn't contribute to the discussion at all. I wanted to. I had volumes to speak. But I was terrified the fingers would point at me.
I used to think my grandmother had a tic. But it was hard to tell if it was a tic or her just being old. Maybe that thing she does with her neck is something old people do. She is still alive and I am still unsure whether it is a tic or not. I actually, don't think it is. I think it is just some old lady movement. It's hard to explain but I think I wanted it to be a tic more than it ever could be.
I guess I assume it comes from my mother's side. I say this only because she has one sister with no children and one living parent, the one I've been speaking of. My father's family is much bigger. Lots of siblings and cousins. And cousin's children. No one has TS. I never got to see my mother's gene pool except for the three of them that I know.
For a long time I really wanted to know. I never asked my mom, of course. This all went on in my head. I don't care that much anymore. It doesn't matter. I am not looking to blame anyone. I am just curious where the man I know as myself, the man created by TS comes from; much in the same way people trace their families back to the old country to know where they came from.
I came from Tourette's Syndrome. That is the thing that made me. I don't know who or what I would or could be without it. I probably wouldn't be as smart. I probably wouldn't be as talented. I probably wouldn't be as creative. I definitely wouldn't have the strength or will power I have now.
I am TS. TS is me. The older I get the more I realize my temperament has been shaped more by tourettes than by any other factor. More than my environment. More than influence. TS was my socialization. I became who I am despite it. And I became who I am because of it. And I became who I am with it. I am and will always be a product of TS.
If it were gone tomorrow I would be thrilled. And I would lament over the loss.

2 comments:

C said...

I spend hours analyzing the obvious depression and anxiety my mother has (untreated), my childhood tics, my brother's epilepsy, etc., etc., etc. It all seems to have unfolded into my kids.

Unknown said...

i know someone who feels like that. It's like having a pink elephant in the room with you.