9/7/07

Snap, Crackle, Pop!

I used to crack everything. Some people crack their knuckles. I cracked everything. I cracked my knuckles every way they could be cracked. I cracked my neck, jaw, elbows, wrists, back, knees, ankles and toes. I was so good at it after a while that I could crack every part of my back from the very top of my spine to the bottom simply by arching my back. I could crack the back of my neck by just dropping my head backward. I cracked my neck in a million different ways. I cracked my jaw in a million different ways.
When I cracked my neck I would do it by just jerking it around in a certain way. It's funny because it looked like a motor tic. But I was actually not ticcing. I was cracking my neck. Coupled with my other tics it didn't matter. Everyone just thought it was another tic. And of course it was a tic. An OCD tic. A compulsion to crack my neck. To this day I never told anyone except for one boy why I was doing that. They all assumed it was a motor tic and I let them. I told one of my bunk mates at summer camp when I was 9. I don't know why and I don't even remember his name but remember clearly telling him. I wanted to tell someone I was just cracking my neck. That's all. Not touretting. Just cracking.
Things started to hurt. My neck and jaw were a mess. They still are.
I stopped cracking them when I was quite young. I don't remember exactly when. I fought off those tics and won. The urge is still there but I fend it off somehow. I stopped cracking my back in high school. I stopped cracking my toes and knees and elbows in high school, as well.
I stopped cracking my knuckles when I was 18. I just did it cold turkey one day. That was hard to do. I sometimes ask people if I can crack their knuckles. I get a crazy urge to do it and I ask. I love cracking women's small and skinny fingers. I have been doing that for years. When I was a teenager I would ask female friends to let me crack their knuckles. I still crack my girlfriend's sometimes.
Two summers ago I decided to start cracking my knuckles again. I just went full force into it obsessively. And I did it for about two weeks. My fingers hurt so much that I was in agony when I was paddling through the ocean on my surfboard. My fingers felt like they were gonna fall off. I decided to stop again. And I did. Haven't cracked them since.
I don't know how I can stop it so easily. It is probably because of the pain.
A tic I now have is pushing back my fingers until they are about to crack and feeling the pressure but then stopping. that seems to satsify my urge. I do the same thing with my neck.
I stopped cracking my ankles just a few years ago. But I do still do that sometimes. And it hurts. I hate doing it but I cannot help myself.
I still crack other people's backs when they let me. I crack my girlfriend's all the time. Ha, just the sound of a back cracking satisfies me in a way I cannot possibly explain to a non touretter.
TS is such a strange syndrome. When and where does it end and I begin?

1 comment:

tragic said...

From what i saw , its never gonna end!!!!