9/3/07

Wink, wink

Sometimes I convince myself I don't have TS. It doesn't define me. Most people don't even know I have it. I am defined by my sense of humor, intelligence, interests, job, background, etc... Yeah, when I am writing this blog I am always talking about TS. But most of the time it is not in my thoughts. So, I forget about it sometimes. And I live life. Ya know, like a normal person. And I place such little importance on it that I almost forget I have it. Those moments are nice. I find my symptoms get worse when I think about them. It's when I feel sorry for myself that I have Tourettes. When I feel good about life it doesn't matter. Who cares? There is way more to life than the absurd facial gestures I am making at any given time.
Ha, that reminds me of this time I went to a party with a college friend I hadn't seen in a while. My tics were especially bad at the time. I wasn't going to go because of them but went anyway. It was one of those decisions I made to spite my Tourettes. My TS doesn't control me. Ha. Yeah right. Sure it doesn't. So, after the party on the subway ride home my friend said "You make these 'facial gestures' you're not aware of." I can't remember the exact phrase I used to change the subject but I am sure it came out of the mental Rolodex I keep for just that occasion. Facial gestures. Ha! It makes them almost seem elegant or something. I can remember the pause before he uttered those two words, too. I could almost see the process his brain was going through, trying to find the least harmful words. And the words he found were great. Brilliant. Goddamn comical, they were.
But that was an example of someone trying to be helpful. He was being a friend. He didn't want to push me out the doors and leave me to fend for myself on the L train's notoriously dangerous subway platform in East New York. No, he wanted to help. But I did not let him in. I was the weak one. He was the strong one, willing to attack the subject. I am the coward who runs from any discussion of my TS.
I have read of people handing out cards that say they have TS, like a deaf person selling lolly- pops. Fuck that. I am not handicapped. Why is it my job to make everyone around me feel more comfortable? Let them stare. And when I catch them staring I shoot them a look of death. And they look way. I can be insane for all they know. They don't want to provoke any trouble. I always feel bad afterward. I don't wanna be mean. They weren't throwing rocks at me; they were just curious. I don't mean to be an asshole to people for just looking at me but sometimes I just want to be left alone.
But this is my life. I have Tourette's Syndrome. I don't get to be left alone. I don't get the luxury of everyone minding their own business. People will always stare. And there is nothing I can do about that. I can hand out cards until my wrist hurts. I will always be the one they're looking at. I am ok with it. This is the life I fell into. I can't trade it in like a used car. I am "that guy."
Sometimes I even enjoy catching people looking. It makes me smile or even laugh. The best is when I catch a kid staring and when we make eye contact and I smile. And the brave ones smile back. They realize I am harmless and I can't control it. Meanwhile their mom is reading her paper, oblivious to the whole exchange. But this kid and I are both in on the same joke. These kids seem to get it. If mom had seen it she wouldn't know how to react. She would have looked away or pulled her child closer. But not kids. They're innocent. They're just along for the ride, soaking it all in. This kid observed me doing something he knows I didn't want anyone to see and he caught me. Good on ya, kid. It will be our little secret....

3 comments:

C said...

My oldest daughter has TS and OCD. I still have some tics as an adult (didn't truly understand why I've had various tics throughout life until her diagnosis).

Most people never ever see her "stuff." She's good at suppressing. Of course, then she comes home and explodes.

Last week we were on vacation. Her OCD was really bad. I thought she was doing okay, but one afternoon she just finally broke down and cried. She didn't want to be different. For that moment, she just wanted to be normal.

Sucks.

Jeff said...

Hey there

You know, i've got to say, i've got ts myself and your blog is very interesting. I'm 30 years old myself, and until my girlfriend actually helped me learn what TS was a few years ago, I was ashamed of it,and embarrased.

I would just tell people I've got allergies, or a cold...or whatever would change the subject. I've been told to try every cold/allergy medicine possible, but i'm not sick and i dont have a cold. (LOL)

I alwasy knew I had tourettes, but I guess I didnt know the details of what it really was, and how to cope with it. My girlfriend did ALOT of research on it, and more or less helped me learn what it was, she told me it was nothing to be ashamed of, and if i would just TELL people that i've got it, it'd be alot easier. (this was just 2 years ago, mind you)

Basically, I never flat out said that I had tourretes to anybody until just a year or two ago, i've been so 'tormented' by my mom (even now when i go visit, and i'm freakin 30 now!) telling me to stop, and try to stop, and watch my noises, it freakin frustrates me and just makes it worse (because I get irritated) and she doesn't even notice.....so yeah, my girlfriend finally helped me cope with it a bit and now (for the most part) i've got no problem saying what it i.

Truthfully, i wish i would have known more about it when i was younger.........i'm 30 and just started learning the past 2 years really, thanks to my gf..

Also, on another note, I've found that It helps if you can joke about it though, a guy i used to work with had ts as well as myself (wow, 2 people in one building with it, haha)...his left arm shakes randomly.......he used to say that he always carried his coffee with his left hand and could not help but spilling it, then he realized that he should just carry it in his right hand, lol, had to be there i guess but it was damn funny.

But yeah, I guess my point is, read up on it a bit if you can, talk to others with it, and have the courage to actually tell somebody what you do have it. I just say "oh, i've got tourretes, is a neurological disorder", and they either go "oh, ok wow", or they ask more about it and i'm able to educate them.

Alright, we'll take care, and good luck! :-)

jeff
drop me a line sometime

www.myspace.com/rockin_jeff

Tony and Rett said...

For the record, I don't have TS, so I'm not "That girl", like you mentioned being, "That guy." I am, however, "That girl" for a billion other reasons...that girl who is too fat, that girl who laughs to loud, that girl that is adopting...

It's alaways something. Every person gets tagged, "That someone" for one reason or another. It's human nature. It's also all in how we deal with it. It's about how truthful we are with ourselves and each other. It's NOT about letting that label define who we are, but about letting who we are define our label. Deep huh?

Until your next post...